Students Rise Fundraiser

At CARECEN we recognize that immigrants arriving to Long Island have needs that go far beyond legal representation. Our annual Students Rise Fundraiser is just one of the many ways we ensure that our clients have the tools to thrive in their new communities. 

The Data: Assessing Community Need

According to a recent survey conducted by CARECEN’s staff and volunteers, 221 immigrant students from the households we were able to contact across Long Island and New York City have indicated that they are in need of technology and/or supplies for in-person and virtual learning in the upcoming school year. Almost half of those students, 47%, will be attending elementary school with the remaining 53% attending middle school through university/English class/GED course levels.

We need to raise $10,000!

In the third year of this fundraiser, in order to respond to the higher need indicated by the survey results, we hope to surpass the $6,200 we raised last year (that we used to purchase 15 laptops, 39 tablets and 42 $25 or $50 gift cards) and raise $10,000! Our data results highlighted the emergent reality of virtual learning, indicating that 83% of surveyed households are in need of a laptop or tablet. Providing electronic devices to those in need is essential to creating equal opportunity for academic success, as more and more schools, universities, and learning programs require technological access.

Your donation of any amount can have a tremendous impact on a student's ability to learn over the next school year. 100% of the proceeds will go towards fulfilling our community’s educational resource needs. With your support, students of different ages and cultural backgrounds will have access to technology that is no longer a luxury but a necessity!

Our Impact

For the past two years, our school supply fundraiser has equipped immigrant students with the resources they need for academic success! As a mother of four, Maria* was thrilled when her children were provided with backpacks and supplies by CARECEN in 2019. She states that the pens she and her family use at home serve as a daily reminder of her gratitude for CARECEN’s assistance: “I received many pens, and I still have a couple at home. This reminds me of the help I received from CARECEN in 2019.” Like many of our clients, Maria and her husband face systemic barriers that place them at risk of financial stress even in normal times. The COVID-19 pandemic has further exacerbated these circumstances for Maria’s family, and immigrant families all across Long Island and NYC, who have been consistently left out of federal and state relief programs. Last year, in response to the differing needs of remote learning and generous support of our donors, CARECEN was able to assist Maria’s family again by providing them with 2 tablets and a laptop for her kids to complete virtual classes.

*The client’s name has been changed for privacy protection purposes.

Students Rise Fundraiser Flyer & Data.pn